Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
$.02 for you working in a highrise...fire/smoke threat

dedicated rescue hood and filter canister for hydrogen cyanide and particulate matter.... fireproof blanket to throw over you

gas mask (military surplus masks are typically many years out of date, but an option with a new filter)

GI pilots Nomex gloves, GI Nomex balaclava or from race car fire suit with tight fitting Lexan goggles and industrial respirator

battery alarm as you might not be able to blow a whistle

high intensity light... high intensity light sticks

section of "follow me" cord,non melting

window breaking punch, Wonder bar, insulated wire cutters, hacksaw to remove interior metal wall studs

depending on height and training... throw bag with Kernmantle rope, figure 8, Swiss seat, carabiners, double thick gloves

Keep in mind that if you work in a high rise, you may spend a significant portion of your day away from your desk. At a minimum, keep a flashlight, your phone, car keys (if you drove) and your wallet on your person. You may not be able to return to your desk to get your gear. Even if you think you can go back to get your stuff, it's almost always better to beat feet and get out of a burning building as quickly as possible.

Having my car keys has enabled me to be comfortable during cold weather fire drills on several occasions. In a real fire, I'd have had access to warm clothes and my emergency gear.