Originally Posted By: Russ
. . . Yes, but my question on how the Sharx compares to the Storm was more about frequency than decibels. The Storm's 3150 Hz seems to be a good frequency.

I don't own a Sharx, and I didn't find a sound recording of the Sharx on the Web. If someone can provide me either, I can analyze it. Alternatively, someone can do what I did for this post.

On my iMac, I downloaded the freeware "FFT Analyzer", which plots a frequency response of whatever the iMac microphone "hears".

From the sound samples in my previous post, and some whistles I have, I make the peak energy frequencies: (many of these are "multitone" whistles):
  • 1700,2300 Hz for the Fastex 72 x 20 x 15 mm and 7g whistle from this Youtube recording
  • 2200 Hz for the Acme Thunderer 58.5 (from web recording)
  • 2700 Hz for the Storm (mine)
  • 2800 Hz for the ACR flat whistle (main tone)(mine)
  • 3100 Hz for my "cheap aluminum keychain cylinder REI whistle"(mine)
  • 3500 Hz for the Acme Tornado 636 from this web recording.
  • 3650 Hz for the Fox Rescue Howler (loudest tone)(mine)
  • 4300 Hz for Fox 40 Classic (from web recording)
Since I didn't get the expected 3150 Hz from the Storm, I'm not sure what is going on here. Could be my software/microphone, could be the unit, don't know.

I also found this nice German survival whistle frequency test {link through Google Translate} on the web (with no Storm or Sharx, alas) indicating a peak for the Fox 40 Classic in the 3200-4000 Hz range, a bit different than my results.

It does seem that the Fox frequencies are on the high side, and the NZ results suggest that low frequencies are better for forest penetration.

Edited by rafowell (02/20/11 09:44 PM)
Edit Reason: missing parenthesis