Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
As part of my EDC, I have a whistle (I'm seriously considering getting an additional whistle), a flashlight, first aid gear and EMT sheers (it's for more than just first aid).
Sounds good to me. The main thing I'd add is a dust mask. Might as well make it an N95 medical mask. You can get ones that store flat. The ones with a filter are better in use, but more bulky to carry. Packs of 10 are so you have some spares for testing the fit.

These are for any kind of disaster that leads to building collapse. The reports I've read about 9/11, for example, say the things most useful for survivors were torch, whistle and mask.

An urban tool should be a bit different to a wilderness tool. It's more important to be able to cut metal than wood. A can-opener attachment may be useful too.

Otherwise, the usual survival stuff: bandanna, cordage, water. I think fire-making is less important in urban situations. The usual urban stuff: money, credit cards, phone, ID, contact info. There is probably a higher risk of theft or mugging so you might want to think about that. Usually, though, having more people around is a good thing, because the bad eggs are relatively rare.