I agree with John McCann, the Brunton is useful, the fresnel lens and the little floating compass are functional. I carried both while in the military as an easy to conceal backup.

When it comes to whistles, there are many that are loud enough to be recommended and for sure, consider durability. A broken whistle is not much good in an emergency. I personally carry the ACR mini, it is loud enough, durable and compact. In tests it rates well in all areas.

You may want to take a look at this test data, it does not include all whistles and of course, misses the newest ones. Still, excellent information.

http://www.woodsmonkey.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73:who-gives-a-toot-the-whistle-tests-are-in&catid=66:navigation-and-signalling-gear&Itemid=79

As for "Survival Kits" in general, I have never seen one that has every item you need for every situation. Some have more items than others but across the board, no one kit has everything for everyone. I consider some pocket kits a token "survival kit" at best and definately no substitute for training and experience.