I been watching a bunch of videos and reading some news related to survival stories and been wondering if there really is any way to reach out to a majority of the people out there about the basics of survival. After the major influx of interest by the public in survival (or so the media would have you believe) after y2k and with the new advent of 2012 theories it seems like still people have no idea about the simple basics. Survival shows aired in my area are mainly les stroud survivorman and bear grylls and neither of these address the common situations such as a broken down vehicle or stuck vehicle.

Would some form of PSA even be taken seriously by The general public? Or would it be considered "survivalist and not for me"?

The basics Im thinking about are pretty simple. Leave expected arrival time with someone and map of route you will be taking, Add enough Water and precooked food to last a week at one basic meal a day for each person, Check your vehicle for issues, make sure to have a jack jumper cables and tow cable, proper clothing for the climates you will expect to experience during the drive, so on so forth and the most important do not leave your vehicle and attempt self rescue OR split up.

Any ideas suggestions other basics?