Doug - I re-read your column after CWilson posted here today and thought it a model of restraint and reason as it is not harsh but simply seeks to help others equip their vehicles so they could better cope if stranded for any reason, and enhance their odds of rescue.

The age-old silver lining of any tragedy: seeking its lessons to prevent recurrence.

There's been a lot of commentary on the Internet that Kati Kim would be justified at being indignant about, your column should be the least of her concerns. Fairly or not, she's now in the public eye and had better steel herself if she's going to be reading commentary on what was a highly publicized event. And thanks to her 20/20 appearance, still is.

If I were advising her on pr, I'd suggest she try to put the how and why they got stuck behind her and focus instead on the constructive lessons to be gleaned on how a vehicle and its occupants could be better equipped for being stranded for any reason.

In that way she could become a laudable spokesperson for preparedness. She's not a very effective speaker at this point but could be helped by media training.