Let me pop in here to make a comment or two.

A few days prior to the 20/20 show I got a call from an indignant Katie Kim who apparently didn't appreciate be cast as "unprepared" in my Lessons Learned post on my ETS Blog. It initially took me brief bit to put two and two together when she said "this is Katie Kim..." as I hadn't really given this incident a whole lot of thought for quite some time, other than to post the notice that started this thread. It was an "interesting" conversation that suggested to me that 3 years on she has rationalized herself into a new reality. <shrug> That's not uncommon among survivors, in my experience.

She has apparently just discovered my blog post and was upset that I had come to my conclusions without speaking with her and seemed not the bit put off when I explained that she made herself unavailable, so all I had to go on was published reports.

Bearing in mind that at that point I barely remembered what I had written, and since she was essentially asking me to revise my assessment, I told here I'd be happy to consider doing so, but would have to do an in-depth interview, which she declined, claiming she was prohibited from giving an interview by ABC. You can draw your own conclusions from that. As such I told her all I could do was watch the show and see if it changed my mind.

I can't say as my mind has changed. That she may have had more wilderness experience and skills than was originally known, doesn't change much, except to call into question the judgements made by the Kims even more. The lessons leaned are still valid and I don't think I have significantly mischaracterized her or the incident.

I have added a link to Charles' site, lot of good info there.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com