Folks typically equate lifesaving with extreme acts of heroism and courage. Your efforts in providing knowledge and advise to people to avoid placing themselves in danger and how to prepare and react when such situations are unavoidable, while not as obvious to the casual observer, may actually have a more far reaching impact than single acts of heroism. It’s very nice that Carl took the time to acknowledge your role in his safe recovery. I know that you have spent thousands of hours testing and evaluating equipment and techniques. And that again in creating and maintaining the ETS website. The results or benefits to all of that effort could be virtually invisible to you if successful. After all, how many non-survival situations arise because folks are now informed on how to avoid them? So kudos to you (and Chris K.) for saving countless lives.

P.S. I would guess that the use of the PLB is also more safe for the SAR crews as they are not scouring the air, land and sea searching for the lost “needle in a haystack.” A quick in and out rescue has to be beneficial to all. I would imagine that even the occasional false alarm is greatly offset by the reduction of time and effort associated with a PLB rescue. Not to mention the greater likelihood of a successful resue!