Another update in my quest for the serviceable emergency car kit--

I got the Kidde Auto Fire Extinguisher Model FX5 II, which is UL-rated for 5-B:C (the letters indicate fire types, and I think 5 refers to the maximum size of the fire it can handle in square footage). This is a dry chemical extinguisher, and the ingredient list reads: sodium bicarbonate, mica, calcium stearate [-- and this is where it gets weird--] nuisance dust, irritant, HMIS 1-0-0. I assume the last three items are a list of the potential toxic stuff. (I know HMIS stands for Hazardous Material Identification System.) The extinguisher contains 2 lbs of chemicals. The product page at the manufacturer's website is here.

My concerns are threefold:
  • 1. Will the chemical destroy my car? Internet sources seem to indicate that, unlike ammonium phosphate (for ABC-type fires), sodium bicarbonate does not corrode metal, but then I noticed that the fancier car fire extinguishers use halation, which I assume has some sort of advantage. Since the extinguisher is for a ten-year-old car, I do have to calculate: better to take the insurance money & let the car burn, or to try to put out the fire? If the chemical will eat through the electrical wires, it doesn't make sense to carry the extinguisher.
  • 2. The mounting bracket is made of flimsy plastic, and I think I can snap it between my fingers if I want to. (I'm no Superman, in case you're wondering.) The manufacturer says it's UL approved. I wrote them to find out whether they make a sturdier bracket, but they have not replied. It would be a nightmare to get into an accident with a cannonball of a fire extinguisher loose in the car.
  • 3. Where to mount the extinguisher in the car?

Thanks again.

Da Bing