Originally Posted By: hikermor
It may be an oddball, but it is an effective oddball. Some years ago, I used one in an unplanned winter bivouac in deep snow. It was a night of a short period of sleep, wake up, fire up the Borde and drink something hot, doze off again. I went through this cycle about five times, arising at dawn with renewed energy and all twenty digits non frostbitten. Pretty good for a stove that only cost $8.00 then - definitely some years ago.

Even the lowest quoted current price is ridiculous. There are plenty of capable, less pricey alternatives.

But the Borde is a good stove. The filler cap blew out on me and I tossed it - not a good move. I still have its replacement, a Primus 71. I am sure that HJ will review the Primus 71 soon - right, Jim?
Yes, the Borde is in high demand. Like I say, it has kind of a cult following. I do think it's a better than average stove, but I am in a bit of a quandary just why it is so sought after. I actually did pretty well to get one for $130.

Yes, I will review the Primus 71. The Primus 71 I have was given to me by my late uncle before he died in 2002. It was his workhorse stove for many years. It was my quest to restore his old Primus 71 to full working order that got me into stoves, and you bet I will review it. It's a long popular stove and for good reason. It is still popular to this day even though the last true Primus 71 was made in 1962 before Optimus bought the Primus name and started selling the similar but different Optimus 80 with a "Primus 71" sticker pasted to it.

I'm not quite sure just when I will review the Primus 71 since I'm still reviewing winter capable stoves. I've reviewed my lightweight picks (Xtreme, Simmerlite, Windpro, and Borde). I'm now going to go with some heavy hitters over the next two weeks: The MSR XGK II and the MSR Reactor. Thereafter I going to post some (relatively) inexpensive snow melters: The MSR Whisperlite and MSR Rapidfire. Then I will go high end and feature the Primus Omnifuel (another favorite) and the Optimus Nova (assuming that I can get mine up and running). That pretty much takes us through March. I haven't decided what to feature thereafter, but I've got to get my all time favorite stove in there, the Svea 123. Since the Primus 71 is in the same class as the Svea 123, it might be appropriate to feature it at that time.

Sheesh, so many stoves, so little time. lol.

HJ