Originally Posted By: Eric
19th century is pretty pessimistic depending on what caused the apocalypse. Pockets of knowledge will exist and assuming a 2012 "disaster" there are still plenty of pockets of older tools/technology around to be exploited along with the people with the knowledge and skills to use them so I'd be surprised to see things fall that far in only 40ish years. But your scenario so those are the rules.

Tools and older equipment would be around but without things such as a means of extracting some types of raw materials and a supply chain, we are back to a situation where anything new would have to come from a local machine shop. Don't get me wrong, a lot can be built with scrap mettle but we can forget about mass production and not everything can be made in a machine shop.

One player-character is almost finished building a computer with relay switches and a spinning mettle drum (drum memory). She is waiting for the punch card machine to be finished. The means of building tubes and transistors do not exist. This player-character is also building a car but when everything must be built by hand, we can't expect anything more advanced than an electric starter assuming she can get the tires for the car imported. If not imported, where is she going to get the rubber to make tiers?

Without the means of making synthetic fibers, toothbrushes would be made from horse hair. Also, there are no means of making disposable medical gloves or syringes. In short, without the infrastructure, technology level is almost back to the days of the pioneers.

Jeanette Isabelle