Originally Posted By: Blast
I'm assuming that by "rebuilding civilization" you mean increase the technology level above its current in-game level. What aspect of technology? Medicine, power, weapons...? "All of the above" would be a pretty difficult task using stuff from a backpack.

There are two things I consider when choosing gear. What does my player-character need for the trek and what does she need for her life after the trek? The medical kit, Pocket Survival Pack, RSK Mk3 and PICO Lite are for the trek. The remaining items in the medical kit, the RSK Mk3 and the Tuf-Cloth are for her life after the trek. The bottle of water is to sustain her until she figures out where she is.

By "rebuilding society" I mean society returning to some form of normality. The purpose of selecting the right gear and anything else not gear related (skills, knowledge, etcetera) is to sustain my player-character until society has returned to some form of normality. Technology is a tool in rebuilding society. We certainly do not need weapons. In a post apocalyptic world everybody, and their grandmother, has weapons. The city has a functioning power plant. What is lacking is medical technology which is why I chose the role of a Wilderness EMT for my player-character. The city has a hospital that's open but any equipment still working is at least forty-years-old.

Jeanette Isabelle