I agree. Gas shutoff tools are somewhat specialized, in that, they aren't typically very good at anything besides shutting of gas lines.

This is fine if you are going to leave the tool by the meter or whatever, but if I'm looking for something to throw in a FEMA kit/Bug-Out bag (where weight is somewhat precious) I want a tool that can do more. A good pair of Vice-Grips or tongue-and-groove Channellocks can do a lot more for the same basic weight.

With that in mind, the one tool I've found that I actually somewhat like is Channellocks 6-in-1 rescue tool. It essentially combines a pair of channellock lineman's pliers with a gas-shutoff notch, a glass breaker pin, and a spanner wrench for large hoses (like those used by firemen or used on large water pumps). A regular pair of Lineman's pliers is quite useful and the additions channel lock has made don't hurt the usefulness of the original tool. At the same time, they do make it somewhat more capable. It's double the cost of a similar pair of Lineman's pliers, but I figure it's worth it if you are already carrying a pair of Lineman's.