Originally Posted By: widget
The T-10, MC-1B and other actual airborne soldier parachutes use Type II paracord that is from 375 to 425 lbs breaking strength and has 4 inner strands instead of 7. I prefer this type but it is not commercially produced for general use, the only type II available will be sold by a parachute manufacturer or a parachute rigger supply house.

Very true Widget, not many people are aware of this. I also think Type II is a great alternative to 550 (a.k.a. Type III). Type II has all the strength you'd need for less weight and bulk. 550 seems light until you pack 100 or 150 feet of it. Full disclosure: I am a total gram weenie and I cut weight with a vengeance.

Here's another twist: IIRC (I may be fuzzy on this) the spec for Type II cord (and the other types too) specifies many things but not the number of inner strands. It's just that the typical number of strands is what it takes to satisfy the strength rating. But, all of the Type II cord I've been able to find has 5 strands, not 4. You can buy it by the yard or by the roll at Paragear.com (no affiliation) and while their site says 4 strands, the stuff I got from them has 5. I've talked with other parachute material suppliers and they all said their Type II has 5 strands.

If you've got a source for 4-strand Type II, please post it!