No boating experience. I would like to think I can get across the sound in a small RIB. Navigation is not a concern as land is in sight or done by simply going North (and weather permitting). Perhaps that is over simplifying, but I would not foolishly attempt it without getting some education and training first. <br><br>I would only bring what I can carry, and what my partner could manage as extra. I am in good physical shape but an ubanite. <br><br>In a disaster, I feel that getting to the mainland would be of great importance. LI is basically an extension of NYC. If cut off, supplies will run out quick, and there are no natural resources to live off of.<br><br>While I do not plan to move, I just want to be prepared to be able to leave in an emergancy if I have to. Part of that plan is having an option available (the boat) if travel through the city is not possible.<br>I'm just trying to jumpstart my plan by contacting people of experience that can give me a chacklist of things to get and learn (at this site and a couple others I've posted to).<br>I just need some pointers as a starting point (per my previous message) so I can start getting the gear and training I will need.<br>