Originally Posted By: hikermor
I would take a carry on size backpack, which is preferred mode, even in non-emergencies. In it I would have a change of clothes, an appropriate garment for inclement weather, toiletries, a small versatile FAK, some food and snacks (no cooking), any unique/irreplaceable items, knife (normally Leatherman Wave) and matches if possible, and a filled canteen. As much as possible would be worn on my person or in my vest and coat. This would include EDC items like a small flashlight, whistle, keys. When travelling I usually wear a money belt and cash stashed in various locations. Don't forget the passport.

From the news reports, it is a major hassle getting to the Cairo airport. I would seek guidance from the embassy or trusted friends.

"We'll always have Paris"....

The state dept. should have let you send out the travel alert, lol. From CNN today. Emphasis mine. Another good reason to always have some extra bottled water and non-perishable snacks in your hotel room.

Quote:

The State Department told Americans on Monday that they should bring food, water and other necessities -- including patience -- to the airport if they hope to catch a flight.

"People should be prepared for a very long wait," said Janice Jacobs, the U.S. assistant secretary of state for consular affairs.

Thats if they can make there. And many photos released today show tourists walking to the airport, wheeled luggage in tow. Easy to spot because of the bright colors. Another reason neutral colors are a good idea, you don't stand out like a sore thumb. In this situation I'd toss some clothes and fill the wheeled luggage with a few gallons of water. Makeshift cart.