Originally Posted By: Montanero
MSR Reactor stove has a pressure valve you get every ounce out of it, it works at high altitudes, is very efficient and works in very cold temperatures.
The MSR Reactor is the hottest thing out there. It boils ultra fast, but it is neither light nor compact.

The Reactor, high tech as it is, is still subject to the laws of physics. Get things cold enough, and the Reactor will die just like the rest of them.

However, there's one other factor: altitude. The higher you go, the lower the surrounding pressure. Just as water boils at a lower and lower temperature the higher you climb, so also will LPG vaporize (boil) at a lower and lower temperature. That's why you'll hear mountaineers report good results with a Reactor even in cold weather.

What's the exact amount of elevation that one has to gain to offset a one degree reduction in temperature? I don't know. Anyone with a physics or chemistry degree care to chime in here? Personally, I wouldn't go out in cold weather at high elevation unless I were absolutely sure my stove were up to the task.

HJ