Originally Posted By: njs
In most states in order to receive an EMT certification a person must be able to demonstrate need (i.e. have an affiliation with a rescue organization, ambulance service, guiding service, work requirement etc.) and also have a supervising physician. Usually anyone can take an EMT class but simply wanting to be an EMT is not sufficient to become certified at a state and national level.

This statement is incorrect. Every EMS program I've seen, both at community colleges and private "certificate only" places, allows people with no prior medical/rescue/etc affiliation at all to enroll for EMT-Basic.

When you say "...and also have a supervising physician", I think you are confusing medical control (which IS required to provide care beyond the first responder level) with the mere ability to go get the training. Don't confuse what it takes to get trained with what it takes to use your skills on the public in an official capacity.

However I concur with your statement that Wilderness First Responder is an excellent goal for those who want useful knowledge and skills but don't want to work in EMS.

To the original poster:
EMS certs & systems vary wildly by state and sometimes by county. You will need California-specific info.

Glock-A-Roo, NREMT-I, WEMT (via SOLO)

Edited by Glock-A-Roo (01/31/11 12:26 AM)