Originally Posted By: hikermor
This thread is prompted by the current thread dealing with practicing survival skills. One of the critical skills is certainly First Aid, something that most of us never get to use unless we are working in the medical field.

In my case, I am a "rusty EMT," trained way back in the 70s, and updated since then with various certs, but none in a while. I am not currently active in SAR, but the occasional situation still develops. I recently treated a fellow worker while everyone else stood around and gawked - at least the supervisor called 911 quickly while I gave basic care to the victim.

I clearly need to update my training and skills, which are likely to come in handy during everyday life as well as in the Next Big Disaster.

So, what are my options and what are the relative costs and time commitments? In order to make this thread more broadly useful, what are the options for the first aid neophyte and their relative costs and benefits?

I started the other thread, almost forgot , I took the St. John's Ambulance first aid course about two years ago.....I should take it again to refresh my knowledge and skills.