Originally Posted By: LED
The Egyptian government was able to shut down internet access and most cell phone services. (I'm sure governments around the world are studying this carefully)

From what I've been told, the U.S. is already set up for this as well. A friend of mine that was an ATF agent had a card issued with her credentials that listed a number she was to dial if the phone lines get shut down and she needs to get through.

Along the same lines, I remember during 9/11 none of our cell phones worked. Not sure if the system was just over loaded, or shut down, or what....but phones essentially became useless bricks. With that in mind, I've pretty much made the determination that I can't rely on domestic public utilities at all during a widescale emergency. This includes, phones, the internet, television, and even GPS satellites. If they work, great, if not..I should be prepared for it.

The one thing I haven't done yet though, that I want to, is go for my Amateur radio license. It seems to be the way to go when it comes to emergency communication.