Common sense seems rare in a lot of places.

I've been about 20 miles from home when it started to snow. Given the option, I left work and drove home. When I left, the roads were semi-ok to bad. If I waited, the extra 6 hours = frozen slush, abandoned cars, in little words "the suck". However, should I have had to walk, I was ready with boots, wind pants, a small pack with necessaries, and I knew the shortest route home with shortcuts I can't drive. No shorts and sneakers for me, altho I know people who wear them year round (called dullards).

I will gladly give up cash for safety. Some people may not have that luxury, but DW and I decided a long time ago, being alive is better than being rich.

It wasn't all that long ago that Raleigh had a storm predicted for 2 inches that dropped 10. School kids never made it home, the buses turned around and went back to the schools. Smart decision I say. Not in traffic, no accidents, no running out of gas - school was warm, slept on gym mats, had food. And yet parents whined.

Being prepared, dressing for the weather and knowing when to just sit tight, all common sense