Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
I agree completely that a dog is a long-term commitment, but feel there are several additional benefits of dog ownership. There is evidence that pets can provide a significant amount of emotional comfort beyond their possible role as a security aid. Dog owners have the additional benefit of taking their “security alarm / deterrent” along with them on walks. I would venture to say that dog walkers are less likely to be attacked than their non-dog walker counter parts. While a dog is clearly not an option for everyone, it is an option, which I believe has several advantages (and some possible disadvantages) over traditional security systems.

Pete

Dogs are wonderful companions. Gidget's a certified therapy dog (pediatric oncology, psych). I just wanted to caution against an impulse acquisition of a dog that could live for 15 years simply to protect material possessions from an immediate threat. And dogs aren't cheap.

Most of us wouldn't walk much but for our dogs (no big yards here).

Several detectives and a 20-year police captain told us that homes with dogs rarely are burglarized. Hence the benefit of faking dog ownership and even if you have a dog, advertising that you do.

My biggest fear of a daytime burglary is Gidget's being harmed by a scared or desperate intruder. In that scenario, there's no insurance for her suffering, or mine. The security system protects her as well as my stuff.