Let the police know that someone has been trespassing and you believe they are doing recon for a break-in. Patrol cars should keep an eye out.

Talk to your neighbors and ask them to keep an eye out for suspicious behavior -- at their homes and yours. Know what's going on in your neighborhood -- subscribe to any crime report listserve your local police may offer.

Just yesterday I spent a couple hours with police at a nearby friend's home after a burglary attempt that was thwarted only after the alarm system went off. The perp did nearly break the front door down and damaged two windows he tried to pry open. Police arrived four minutes after getting the call from the security company that monitors the alarms.

So suggestion #1 is get a security system.

Or at least a couple ADT signs and window decals that indicate a security system.

A dog should be a 15-year emotional commitment that will entail a personal investment, including vet bills and food, etc. that over time will cost more than a good security system. I've estimated that Gidget has so far cost me $14,000 and she's only 8 years old. Her $1000 purchase price was just a down payment and that's the case with any dog -- there are no free or cheap dogs.

You can make it look like you have a dog, even if you don't. I took a security course years ago that advised this. To that end,

- put a large stainless dog bowl on the back porch, perhaps a sterilized bone or other dog toy and a door mat that indicates you have a dog ("Woof" mat or something).

- motion sensor lights on the front, back and sides of the house.

- lights on timers so your home always looks occupied when you're away after dark.

- leave a radio on when you're away On a talk station, audible to anyone snooping at the back.

- secure all the windows so they are not easily opened and make sure any sliding glass doors at least have "Charley Bars."

- Make the rear door harder to open (heavy-duty deadbolt - keyed, not a lever). Even if they get in through a window, don't make it easy to carry your flat screen out the door.

Prepare to have your things stolen:

-- double-check the content coverage in your home insurance

-- Mark your valuables with a UV Pens kit (this one is recommended by DC's Metropolitan Police Dept:

THE UV PENS KIT
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/The...47/product.html

-- Mark valuables with LAST NAME and DRIVER’S LICENSE NUMBER. Do not use your SS#. Your DLN is sufficient and can't be used for ID theft. This info comes from DC MPD.

-- inventory and take photos of your valuables (record all serial numbers). This will ease the insurance claims process and aid police if any of your stuff turns up later on (DC MPD monitors area pawn shops and advertising).

-- backup your computers and keep backup off-premise (not just in your external drive that's sitting next to the computer the thieves are going to grab. Burglars around here are after peoples' flat screens, laptops, i-Phones, jewelry. The most pain is caused by the laptops being stolen. Especially distressing are the photographs that weren't backed up and are now lost forever.

I'll probably add more later but have to get ready to walk with our Orange Hat Patrol (which has been energized by a wave of burglaries in my 'hood last fall). Essentially us dog peops have become the OHP. I carry a Flip video and we all have cell phones (with cameras) to record suspicious things and things like streetlights in need of repair or trees that need to be trimmed because they are blocking streetlights.

Good luck and best wishes. It's terrible to feel like you can't be away from your home for fear that it will be ransacked.