Originally Posted By: Bingley

1. Almost everyone includes jumper cables in their car kit. How useful are these actually?

If a car is driven short distances (< 15 minutes), the battery will almost never have the chance to replenish what was used during startup. In winter you also add power hungry accessory like rear window heating and the ventilation fan running at full blast.

So, many cars won't have their battery at full capacity. Then you add the effect of low temperatures and the effect of the battery being slightly worn-out.... Suddenly, when it gets cold enough, there simply isn't enough juice to start the engine.

Even with the best of batteries it only takes a two year old to fiddle with the interior lights and the battery is totally drained the next day. My daughter did just that to our inlaw's old Mercedes diesel last Easter. Three days later, the "jump-start-kit" would have been totally useless trying to pre-heat and start that big close-to-vintage diesel engine. With jumper cables it was just standard routine and a walk in the park.

2. If they snap in half while towing, the metal bits could do serious damage to the car body and anyone standing in the way. So why do some people have both in their kit? What are the chains used for?

Any rope, wire or sling subject to load is LETHAL. STAY CLEAR! Metal bits or no metal bits, those things KILL if they snap.

Keep everyone out of the danger zone when trying to pull someone out of a ditch.

3. What do you do with tea lights? I will include a flashlight and matches. But it seems that some people include this ancient technology for reasons beyond my ken.

Tea lights were probably a necessity before the invention of dim, close-to-everlasting LED lights. (You should have at least one LED light with a low output, super long run time mode).

Today, they still provide coziness and a tiny bit of warmth. Inside a bivy bag, they're surprisingly effective as a heat source. Not great, but way better than nothing. In a car, I'd disregard the tiny heat output as insignificant except as a convenient way to make your can of sardines lukewarm.

But don't underestimate the positive effect on morale that a few romantic candles can give you smile