#1 - Jumper cables-usefullness varies a lot depending on circumstances including the quality of the cables, your knowledge, and where the battery decides to die. I have 16' very heavy duty cables (00 gauge) and use them about once or twice a year, usually to help someone else. Waiting for a tow truck / roadside service in the middle of a snow storm is no fun. I also have a standalone battery but that only works if your car battery is a bit low. If your battery is on its last legs a portable jumper just can't provide enough amps.

#2 - ropes, straps, chains. Tow ropes and straps are much more convenient and safer than chains for the average motorist. They can break but are a lot less dangerous than broken cables or chains. The metal hooks are needed on the straps/ropes so you can hook up without abrading (weakening) the material too much. I have both a tow strap and a chain for each vehicle but only put the chain in when I anticipate needing extra reach or strength. Once you have tension on a chain it doesn't "give" (well for practical purposes) unlike the straps which have a lot of elastic give in them. One bad (i.e. dangerous) use for a chain is to "pop" a car out of a snow drift. You can do it with a cable but the stretch really reduces the amount of instant force delivered to the car on the other end while a chain will go from zero to full force. I drive a jeep and securing the chain safely inside the cabin is a challenge so it is a matter of balancing risks. Again, I probably only use the tow straps every other year or so and the chain less often - but when I need it, I need it.

For both of these items, they are only useful if you are willing and able to use them. That includes understanding the risks since I have seen people seriously hurt trying to jumpstart a car or pull something.

- Eric

Edited by Eric (01/23/11 06:12 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity