I finally made it to Las Vegas for SHOT Show this year. And while I have only been here for a day and haven't been able to see the whole show yet, I have found a couple companies that have some intriguing new products. I am not going to try and review every new product at the show, I am going to post reviews on products that I find interesting and think the members here will be interested in.

I don't have decent pictures of all the lights right now, I will have to wait until I get to a computer with Photoshop before I can get them up.

Surefire introduced a handful of new products that, if they live up to the advertised specifications, will be game changers in the high quality LED flashlight business.

The first new product that grabbed my attention was a rechargeable headlamp capable of 500 lumens for an hour (yes, 60 minutes of full output) according to Surefire. The Maximus is a 5.1oz LED Headlamp that has adjustable output from 1 to 500 lumens. The Maximus’ lithium ion rechargeable battery takes about four hours to completely recharge. Without actually testing one of these in the field, the only flaw I can find right now is the Maximus does not have the option to use disposable batteries if needed in a pinch.

Surefire’s new series of rechargeable handheld lights do not have that same limitation. Each of the five new rechargeable LED flashlights Surefire released has the option to be fueled by either lithium-ion rechargeable or CR123 batteries.

The UDR Dominator is a monster of a light weighing in at 2.3 pounds; it has 11 output settings from 10 to 2000 lumens. Surefire has yet to release the runtime for the Dominator.

The UBR Invictus is a light we have seen a previous incarnation as the UB3T. The Invictus uses a selector ring at the base of the bezel to choose between 8 light output levels from 5 to 800 lumens as well as a SOS and Strobe setting. The Invictus will provide 100 hours of light on the low setting and 1.5 hours on the highest output setting.

While the UDR Dominator and the UBR Invictus are big, bright lights that are have limited application, the next three rechargeable are the lights that I am excited about and can’t wait to test in the field. The UAR Aviator is almost a rechargeable version of the A2 LED Aviator, almost only because the UAR is more than an improvement on the older model. Similar to the A2, the UAR has four satellite LEDs surrounding a center primary LED in a reflector designed to provide a flood-light style beam. Using a selector ring on the base of the bezel, the UAR has four output levels from 15 to 500 lumens and a strobe setting. The UAR (as well as the UBR Invictus and the UNR Commander) also has a new 4-function tail-cap that allows the user to access four preset output settings instantly. The UAR will provide an hour of light at the highest output level, and 50 hours at the lowest level.

The UNR Commander is a similar light to the UAR Aviator, both lights provide identical maximum and minimum output levels and runtimes but the UNR is designed with law enforcement users in mind. Slightly heavier (12oz vs. 8.6oz), longer (9.35”: vs. 8.74” and with a larger diameter bezel (1.8” vs. 1.625”) the UNR is designed to provide a tighter, farther reaching beam than the UAR and replaces the UAR signaling strobe setting with Surefire’s “MaxBlast” disorienting strobe feature.

The last of Surefire’s new rechargeable LED lights is the R1 Lawman. As you can probably guess from the name, the R1 is also designed for Law Enforcement Officers. The R1 has three output levels from 15-300 lumens and Surefire’s disorienting strobe. The R1 has two switches that the user can program to their needs themselves, the traditional tail-cap switch and one on the head.

Lastly, while not new for SHOT, Surefire has released new versions of the popular 6P, G2, Z2, and G2Z light. The 6PX, G2X, Z2X and G2ZX are single output (200 lumens for 2.5 hours) simple LED lights and are priced less than their predecessors. The 6PX Pro and G2X Pro add a second (15 lumen) output level to the 6PX or G2X.

Unfortunately I don’t have prices for all of these products yet, but as soon as I do I will post them here.

Edited by Alan_Romania (01/22/11 07:41 PM)