Back to the original post...

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Given limited space and budget, whats a good basic home tool kit?
Repairs and emergency fix-up

I don't think the original poster is buying tools to be used regularly in his profession. There's no need for a high-end Dewalt cordless drill. Like me, the original poster will probably use a drill about 2 times per year. With such little usage of a cheap cordless drill, rechargeable batteries will be worthless at the exact time the cordless drill is needed. Based on personal experience as a guy who does NOT use drills for a living, I no longer buy cordless drills.

In contrast, a corded drill always works at full power every single time. A corded drill is also less expensive than a comparable cordless drill. I bought a Black & Decker corded drill for about $25 from Walmart about 3 years ago. It hauls way more ass than any cordless drill in the same price range. If I leave it alone for 20 years, I'm confident it will still work at full power like new. I've never had a problem with finding a power outlet.

A drill is not on my list of survival items. I don't need to go out of my way to make sure I have drilling ability during a power failure. I'll just wait for the power to come back on to finish my drilling project.