Originally Posted By: hikermor
I agree with you about the utility of the TTW "stove" and I have one in my minimal kit, but I don't think it would work in an area whee open fires are prohibited, even though it is way better than a campfire. A lot might depend on the judgment of the individual official you encounter.

Now, the Nepalese variant of the stove would sail right through....
Unfortunately, you're correct. Alcohol stoves (with some exceptions) and Esbit type stoves are generally illegal in Southern California except in established camp grounds (and where's the fun in that?) Basically, any stove used outside an established campground has to have an on/off valve of some type. Gas stoves, white gasoline (Coleman type fuel), and kero stoves typically meet these criteria.

HOWEVER, the real "biggie" is an open wood fire. People get very excited about illegal open fires in Southern California. Wildfires cause billions of dollars in damages annually and there are frequently fire related deaths. In practice, most rangers will look the other way or give you a verbal warning if you're using an "illegal" alcohol stove or solid fuel stove, but if you have an illegal open fire, you will get a very different response and not a pleasant one.

I will be posting about alcohol and solid fuel pack stoves. I will not be posting about wood pack stoves.

HJ