Originally Posted By: Susan

The warranties on the batteries of cordless stuff really is a joke. By the time you need them, they don't make them anymore. Just get a cheap cordless drill/driver and toss it when it dies. Then get another cheap one. I just broke down and bought an 18v cordless Skil drill/driver for $29. It's about a dollar more than the cost of a battery for the old 12v.

The battery not being available only applies to the cheap cordless tools, if you buy better ones the barreries are sold for many years.
My father buys the $29 cheap tools and I bought a $99 makita in 1995. 16 years later he had spent $230 on cordelss drills replacing them with another $29 one every couple years and I still had the same $99 one and went out and bought a $29 battery for it around the 10th year so I ended up spending $130 total.

So be careful of the low end stuff, it may cost a little less to buy the tiawan made hammer but when you have to replace it you've just spent more than you would have if you just bought the good brand to start with. That works the same for anything, in laws gave me clothes for Christmas one year that they bought at walmart and the first time I washed them they fell apart. Same with computers, I buy the business model for a little more and don't get a bunch of crap software and they last longer. Spend once for better quality and keep it a lifetime.
If you have relatives that are always borrowing and not returning things buy them a set of the cheap stuff smile