Originally Posted By: williamlatham
Whenever I get around to it I will put one together. That was the first one I saw with the hook attachment.

70' of 5 mm, a couple of locking D biners, 15' or so of 1 inch tubular webbing for a swiss seat, and a pouch to carry it in is the basic setup. An ATC (small) or a figure 8 (larger) would be nice if you want a more bulky setup. I don't think I would carry a grigri or other locking descender, but that is just me.

The rope and possibly the biners/descenders would be considered disposable in this instance. Their only purpose is to get me down 5-6 floors in a burning/collapsing hotel with no other route out.

The hard part is finding a suitable anchor. If I were an apartment dweller with reinforced concrete floors, in goes a climbing bolt next to the best egress windows.

I don't see how you would control your rappel using 5mm cord, without a special belay device. Not sure if you can get a munter in a D-carabiner using 5mm cord, but i'm not sure you would even want to. A munter uses rope to rope friction to control the decent. Not sure how 5mm cord would hold that kind of abuse.

A standard ATC or a Figure of eight does not give nearly enough friction to hold you with 5mm. A grigri is just useless with that cord diameter.

Having less safety margin might be acceptable in an emergency, but i think this setup will just cause you to hit the deck hard. Before even trying such thing, please also look for the emergency exit or wait for the FD if you are not in direct danger.

Edited by Tjin (01/12/11 01:27 PM)