Harmless..the box,really a can,was made for the Coleman 503 so it could be used as a heater.it has holes around the top and i assume the Coleman company thought this out and made it so it worked efficiently.

keeping the open flame from a roaring stove away from gear in a ice fishing shack and supplying a heat sink,plus the cans flat top gets hot enough to cook on makes this a neat but obsolete gizmo.
i have no idea why other more modern stoves don't have something like this,maybe there were too many of those CO problems--

this heater which is made to go onto a camp stove is an example of a proper heater.the stove runs on kerosene and all the springs and screens inside the glass case promote a clean burn.made by the Purple Stove Company in Japan for home and camp use..they use kero burners widely in Japan as they don't need central heating and some burners have a chime that sounds every three hours or so as a reminder to open windows and let any fumes out----for me this is more of collectors item and not something i would keep outside in my cars trunk.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (01/11/11 07:46 PM)