FIRST OFF..this is a cold winter night,not much else to do project.REAL modern propane heaters that you could use in your car can be found just by a quick web web search.in a minute or two i found several from the local big box store that would be much better and safer than my home made set up.
having said that this is what i came up with.

OH NO--i took my canoe hauling car that i only use in the summer way out into the wilderness out of cell phone range and skidded into the ditch.it will be tomorrow before anyone comes along!!..

the temp is only 9F and i'm just wearing a light jacket and jeans because i thought this could never happen.

lucky for me before i left i had a look thru my stove collection for something i could use as a car heater.on the right is a Coleman 502 with a drum heater over the burner.i used this years ago when i went ice fishing.using gas as a fuel seemed to have a spill and fire danger so over on the left is a propane burner that a spare drum heater fits on.

if i make a couple small cuts so it snugs down over the pot holder.

well here i am back at the stuck car and the propane heater is down on the floor inside a bucket to help keep it up right should i bump into it.

a cooking pot full of snow will provide some hot water to make the cocoa i have along with a cup and spoon.

eleven minutes pass by and the car is above zero!

i was concerned about the heat on the dashboard and it is sort of hot--note to self--add a heat shield of some sort.

twenty minutes into it the inside at the front seat is 50F!!

with the back window cracked a bit and the stove turned way down i can wait it out until morning.

well whats this!!!..minutes later with the car warmed up a winter camper who was frozen out up on Pine Lake is on his way home comes by--i get out and wave him down--adventure over--

Edited by CANOEDOGS (01/10/11 08:48 PM)