I was moving from San Jose, CA to Las Vegas, NV. The van was packed, the dog was in the front seat, the cat was in her carrier. I went back upstairs to grab my pillow and the cat's water bowl, and missed the last step coming down. Badly, badly sprained ankle. I had to hold onto a chair to get out to the van. Couldn't stay, the new roomie was moving in that afternoon.

500+ miles to go. Ford van with a stiff clutch. Ace bandage was packed somewhere. I got onto the freeway and drove until I was forced to stop for gas and a hamburger. I had to press the clutch just right to be able to get it down, and couldn't hold it down for long. I couldn't keep putting it down to go through the line at the McD's drive-thru, so I hobbled in... and couldn't get over the speed bump. A SPEED BUMP! On otherwise smooth pavement. Finally, another car came through and I asked the driver if I could lean on his car.

So, I'm with Hikermor on this one. Hopping on rough terrain is just begging for more trouble.

"I once fell 500+ vertical feet skiing down a 38 degree couloir and partially avulsed my right quad tendon among other injuries. I wrapped my leg with a coban and skied for several more days."

Sorry, but anyone who hurts himself and keeps skiing for several more days isn't hurt very badly. But a twinge at the wrong time could have changed all that, couldn't it? Then what?

My opinion on Debbie Collins was that she didn't think it necessary to take a cell phone, a whistle or a lighter, because she was sure nothing would happen. It hadn't up till then, right?

Sue