Originally Posted By: gulliamo
There's something I don't get...

Triathlete Debbie Collins is a triathlete! With a sprained ankle (or even a broke leg) she could have hopped out of there in 6 days. It's not like her hand was trapped under a boulder!

If I knew I didn't tell anyone where I was going I would low-crawl out rather than hope someone notice I was gone.

Oh really! Can you recount any examples? How far have you hopped on a sprained ankle, much less a broken leg? A sprained ankle is essentially identical to a fracture in terms of field first aid, and they generally are quite painful. Sometimes you can move a bit if the ankle is wrapped tightly, but it really helps to have a crutch or a companion to lean on if you are going to move any distance (like 100 yards or so).

Evidently she was in a location where she had water. Moving away from water, she could easily have gotten into a much more serious situation, aggravating her injury, becoming immobilized, and out of reach of water. I think she followed a pretty decent strategy.

The occasions on which I have had to deal with a gimpy leg have not been fun at all. I have helped pull a lot of people out of the woods with sprained ankles/broken legs and the like; the best way to do this is with a stretcher, or in some cases, with the victim on a horse. Well actually, nothing beats a helicopter.