In reference to the Backpack:
I'm not certain exactly if it's "official" swiss army or not. I know it's not Victorinox (the shape around the red cross is a rounded square, not a shield). . . I thought there was another swiss army, and am not sure if it's "official" or not. It DOESN'T have a military-esque appearance.
The thing is incredibly well made, and has several handy pockets of the perfect sizes in the perfect places. It's made of ballistic fabric (dark blue) and has the swiss-army symbol (again, in a circular square, NOT a shield) plastered on several places of the pack. Being an EMT, I kinda like the whole red-cross appearance thing.
I understand the briefcase thing, but i must point out that my dad likes to "pad" his around with him (he's an accountant, and it shows [scratch that. . . he TEACHES accountants how to be accountants :-( . ])Regardless, i understand normal people not wanting to be associated with that type of person. :-) (I'm just kidding, please dont send me mean letters or hunt my family down if i insulted a loved one)
Earphones are infinitely handy for me for bus rides, computers in the library (the university library computers only have Jacks for headphones = no speakers), listening in on a friend's CD-player (I also keep a two-way headphone jack in the pack) and several other uses that ya can dream up yourselves. (also, if i get lost, i can use the headphone cord to make snares and catch squirrels to eat) (then again. . . If i got lost on campus and started barbequeing squirrels the dean would have a fit)
Might i suggest one of these devices they sell at Wally-World (Wal-mart, to those over 20) that kindof splits your keychain? Its kindof like two keychains that attach to each other, if that makes any sense. ya can put your main car key, house key, and maybe an office key on one side, and keep it in your pants. on the other side, you can keep the bulky car-remote, LED, mini-pocketknife, etc. Ya can detach them once you get to the office so the two or three keys you use most often can stay in your pocket unobtrusively, and you can still tote all of your keys when you need them.
just a few ideas...