I mean it, we do. I often see posts about "concealing" PAKs or other kits on your person, but for students, concealment isn't a problem. We aren't given a second look for carrying a backpack everywhere we go.
However, i must comment on the overall preparedness of students. For the opportunities we have to pack emergency "stuff" we sure don't take advantage of it.
Personally, in my pants i keep my keys and my wallet (a few 1st aid items in my wallet [Band-Aids, Triple-A ointment, etc).
Preparedness isn't a problem, however, because in the pack (which i love. . . maybe i'll start a post about how great swiss-army backpacks are. . .) I always have a 1st aid kit (VERY complete, thanks to theis site), CPR mask, xtra light, foldable or earbud headphones (an item, i might add, that SHOULD be in any urban survival kit but has been completely overlooked thus far on this site) batteries, Yaesu Vx-5R (radio), camera, and dozens of other Goodies. Best of all, these all fit into a compartment that i rarely open (the main compartment is used for books and the like) in public. (so im not constantly badgered about being a paranoid, neurotic, Y3K fanatacist [students do that])
Anyway, if ya want a specific listing of what this student carries, i'd be happy to oblige. however, my main point is, I can get away with being prepared without having to conceal anything. Don't you have any briefcases?
I can understand the whole "what if i lose the briefcase" scenario, but when something is used as often as I use my backpack, i start to feel downright naked without it. I haven't left the thing anywhere for several years.
Oh, if I'm not going to classes I still carry it with some food items in the main pocket so i can pretend I'm returning from a store or something. (beef Jerky and Fruit Roll-ups. . .)
Oh yeah, I also carry a Wave-minimag combo on my belt. (i get away with it cuz I'm the commando-pants and polo shirt type of guy.)
Any comments?

Edited by Thorr (11/16/03 07:40 AM)