Originally Posted By: dweste
While just speculation on my part, I would guess that much survival training, trainors, and professionals have their roots in the military and incorporate the military's gung-ho attitude. If so, then I would expect a projection of that attitude to everything as a one-size-fits-all, everything-looks- like-a-nail-when-you're-a-hammer sort of thing.

Having been through five military survival schools, and a great deal of survival type training, and just being in the military for 24 years active duty (and six as a government civilian); I will tell you that your description does not accurately describe a military attitude. While there are many personality types in the military, a one size fits all, everything looks like a nail when you're a hammer, it is not only not taught in military survival schools, but actively taught against. In fact, the calm Buddhist like acceptance is taught as part of the initial period of assessing your situation. This is difficult for many people, military or civilian, as many people have a driving need for action, to do something,anything. The military training tries to help people get past this and to think their way through a situation. Many of the people you describe as trainers have generally had little training, or are actually presenting in the entertainment industry, or both. Your brain is your best survival tool/piece of equipment, and this is taught in military schools. And your brain should tell you to be physically prepared for wherever you are going and whatever you are doing.