Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: dweste
Anecdotal evidence is barely evidence at all. I just wondered if those who have studied survival have done the cold, brutal, factual, actuarial analysis to determine if mindset seems to affect the rate of survival, at all.

There are a couple of seminal books (IMO) that I own, although are not scientific and peer reviewed studies, do an excellent representation and study of what drives people to have the will to survive...and to die.

1) Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why.

2) Surviving the Extremes: What Happens to the Body and Mind at the Limits of Human Endurance

I agree with Hikermor that it is unlikely that any scientific test would produce a repeatable result because of the multitude of uncontrollable and even unmeasurable variables. I would find it easier to precisely number the black flies and mosquitos within an acre of my campsite on a breezy day, than to devise an actuarial test to reliably predict the long-term survivabilty of a human being in the wilderness. Best to analyze anecdotal events and outcomes and compare to personal hypothetical situations (something we do with regularity in this forum).

I have read #1 and it is thought-provoking. I would add to your list "The Lure Of The Labrador Wild" http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0921054580/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used which I purchased and read at CANOEDOGS suggestion. That book was written in a manner that made me feel like I was in the survival situation with them. They were equipped to survive by the standards of the day, but there were many things that I would have done differently if I were there.