Anecdotal evidence is barely evidence at all. I just wondered if those who have studied survival have done the cold, brutal, factual, actuarial analysis to determine if mindset seems to affect the rate of survival, at all.

While just speculation on my part, I would guess that much survival training, trainors, and professionals have their roots in the military and incorporate the military's gung-ho attitude. If so, then I would expect a projection of that attitude to everything as a one-size-fits-all, everything-looks- like-a-nail-when-you're-a-hammer sort of thing.

Perhaps a calm, Buddhist-like acceptance while just making the best choice you can is better for survival. Perhaps mindset is not a significant factor when compared with luck, choice of companions, quality of clothing, culture, lifestyle, physical condition, age, etcetera.

I also suspect most "survivals" and many failures to survive do not get reported and have not been analyzed for whatever their lessons may be. I further suspect that survival outside the US-Europe area is little reported or considered in our current conclusions.

Just because we have been taught it, or everybody we know seems to believe it, does not mean the earth is flat or the center of the universe about which everything, including the Sun, rotates.

Please understand I am just wondering if science has weighed-in on the topic.