I think you can actually stretch this to say attitude and mind set are really significant in life, including survival situations.

Self fulfilling prophesies are well documented (i.e. I know this isn't going to work and lo and behold I am right!!) in psych. I am sure we have also all experienced the other side of this coin also, someone who demonstrates exaggerated or misplaced self confidence in their abilities. Both of these mind sets/attitudes will probably have negative correlation with survival situations.

Similarly there are people who always see options and possibilities. It doesn't seem to matter what situation you put them in they are always finding a way to improvise a solution from what is around. The opposite of this is people who, even given the right tools for resolving a problem, are unable/unwilling to see any options or possibilities.

Beyond that it gets harder to speculate but I think that basically you can always quit fighting to survive and die. Attitude/mind set/determination is what keeps you going when things truly suck and hope is at best a very distant glimmer.

-Eric