Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: hikermor
We received a call late in the evening from two hikers who had hiked out from the Galiuro Mountains, AZ, stating that their companion was hypothermic and had been left behind...

...we found the body of the victim - frozen stiff by the side of the trail where his companions had left him. No sign of any attempt at assistance (tent erected, fire built, etc). When he became distressed, his companions stopped, turned around, and departed ...
Wow. Just that is just so unbelievable. AND what bad judgment they had all made not to put up any shelter which got them wet in the first place. I hope that poor guy's companions did have a touch of hypothermia. If not, they're the just really poor examples of humanity with whom I'm embarrassed to share the gene pool with.

HJ

Okay, one more comment and I'll leave this alone just so as not to veer any further OT. In a way I agree & hope they were somewhat hypothermic, just because that means they weren't just despicable people. But even so what possessed them to sleep in the rain/wet when they all had tents? That's just baffling to me. Especially if two of them had winter survival training! They had no excuse for not knowing the risks of getting cold and wet and not taking steps to stay out of trouble.

Okay, rant off![/rant!] wink