I counsel others to take all the standard advice:

Groups of three [are] ideal. Three gives you one down, one to take care of the victim, and one to go for help. Two people can also pretty reliably carry out another even if the largest in the group is the one who can't walk. The divide between two and thee is often the divide between what a large animal, or human attacker, will take on.

Tell responsible people vital information. Stick to trails. Carry a cell phone and/or PLB. Etcetera.

That said, I've been known to do none of that and go out on my own traveling light (not quite ultra-light) and fast using experience, native resourcefulness, and local knowledge to make up for any shortfall. I usually carry twice the food I need and some way of carrying and treating extra water. Those few times I ran into problems I worked around it without resort to outside help.

I turned an ankle pretty bad once and got a large laceration that bled pretty good. I was on a early fall three-day hike (expected temperatures better than 55F) and a freak cold front came through, dropped a hell of a lot of rain, and pushed the temperature down to the teens. It even snowed a bit. I hiked out wearing every stitch I had with extra insulation from natural materials making up the difference. Short of the proverbial "two broken legs" sort of event, in which case they find my bones, I make do. I don't advocate anyone else do the same.

Corrected for wording. What can I say? I write my first language like it is my second.

Edited by Art_in_FL (12/17/10 02:50 AM)