No - is what I'd counsel friends and family, especially the women.

Redundancy rules in my survival preps, starting with hiking companions. Especially in regard to women hikers/backpackers (I'll stipulate that I am a woman hiker since "Dagny" is apparently gender-vague to some).

If I can't move, I'd like to have someone along who can.

There have been some spirited ETS discussions on this topic, as it relates to real-life tragedies and rescue situations that have occurred.

I can see the appeal of solo to some adventurous souls, especially the peacefulness of it, going at your own pace and less noise to scare off wildlife that I enjoy photographing. Solo could be more soulful.

And even if you'd rather hike with others, it's not always easy to find someone who wants to go where you want to, when you want to.

A guy friend in DC is an avid solo backpacker, logging hundreds, possibly thousands of solo miles in the U.S. and Europe -- much of that on the AT, PCT and in the Alps.

Out of regard for his wife and his own safety, he is meticulous in his planning so she knows where he's going and when he's supposed to be there.

Know the risks, be prepared.