Depends on the state. Also depends how long you have to talk about the topic.

- "Dumb it down." It drove me insane when doing my NIMS certification all the beaurocratic wording they used. I have 10 years of college, and I was confused. KISS
- Communication. How to get state from the next higher tier of assistance in a TIMELY manner. How to get hold of other sub-state level resources to avoid going to the state level. Mutual aid along she state borders and the other states. How each level can talk while on a scene (same radio channels, use or disuse of 10-codes, etc)
- Financining everything. Both before and after an event. Getting reimbursement for resources utilized (ie, billing folks for services rendered)
- Priorities - sorry, but I don't think (for example) most midwest states need the same allotment of resources to terrorist threats as to, say, travel disruption, floods and droughts.
- Education of the citizens. Emphasizing self-reliance for the short term. Maybe offer tax-free days on emergency supplies (VA has this idea in place)
- Caches. Transporting supplies to areas needed. HOW are you moving supplies (rail? 18-wheelers? Fuel for those items? How to get the transport vehicle from where they are, to the cache, and then to the scene. Enforcing the transport provider actually shows up to help once summoned)
- QA/QI. doesn't help if you suck every time you're needed.