There are very few thing that the "assault rifle" does better than a decent hunting gun. Spewing lead indescriminately for the purpose of suppressing return fire is one of them. If I were looking for the correct device to engage a gang of enemys I might want one of these. For the purpose of robbery or homicide I would definately want something else. If I expected to need to protect myself I would think handgun or shotgun. If I wished to intimidate a victim the handgun is much more effective since I will be closing with them anyway. If I wished to kill an individual I wouldn't be using an automatic large magazine gun even in a military op. Even the military uses a carbine or sniper rifle for those tasks. The fully automatic assault rifle with the large magazine or belt is used not to kill the target but to keep their heads down so you can run accross the field of fire without being shot. Seems that banning that doesn't change the landscape for the criminal much at all - except on television.

But we are ranging somewhat off-topic here.

Edited by miniMe (11/12/03 08:13 PM)