Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Eugene
After the first power outage though they become cheaper since your now buying new lithiums instead of just topping off the charge.
What happens if your without power long enough to use up yoyr stock of lithium, you can't recharge them from a car battery, solar, hand crank, bicycle etc.

These are all good points.

The only Eneloop chargers I've seen have run on house current. Is there a good way to make 120V AC without a generator or a running car? I have a couple of inverters, but I don't know how I'd go about using solar, hand crank or a bicycle to recharge them.

Quote:
Co-workers were talking generators one day and I told them my generator was an old GM truck alternator bolted to the engine from a pressure washer smile

Cool :-).

I'm using a MAHA C401FS and MAHA C9000, either of which have a 12v adapter for. Anything that can give out 12v will power them, though the c9000 will need 2A constant to charge at a good speed, so I use an intermediate SLA battery or power from the second battery in my truck or whatever source I can find

Just comparing mAh ratings doesn't give a full picture either, my testing with my gear shows maybe 10% difference in run time between lithium and an eneloop. So if you have 10 lithium batteries and use one a day you can last 10 days, I have 10 eneloops and may go through one a day but will pop them back in my charger off the second battery in my truck so I could run years. I have some Sanyo 1650mAh NiMH that I bought in 1999 that I still use in kids toys.