Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: rebwa

However, lithium’s still have a place in my pack as they are very light in weight compared to the Eneloops.

And I still keep plenty of regular copper tops on hand for a power outage to run lanterns, radio's etc. as they are fairly inexpensive to keep on hand. I've had power outages for 9 days here from storms. However, never leave them in devices as they will leak.

Lithium batteries are actually cheaper to use than alkalines. Consumers Reports (December 2009) compared the cost per shot of running various battery types in digital cameras. Lithium batteries were cheaper than alkalines, except for Costco alkalines purchased in bulk. Given that lithium batteries are lighter, work better in cold weather, and are essentially leakproof, I go for lithium batteres. The CR article didn't go into the cost per shot of NiMH rechargeable batteries, but if you do a little arithmetic, they would seem to be the cheapest of all. I am very careful about putting alkaline batteries into anything I value, primarily because of their propensity to leak.

I never put alkalines in anything other than during a long term power outage then for a short duration, as I've had them leak and ruin a couple of devices. I buy mine at Costco and stock up when they have a coupon special which gives another couple of dollars off the already decent price.