Originally Posted By: rebwa

One more piece of equipment that I always carry in my SUV is a small battery powered radio (along with extra batteries) which would give me the ability to keep up on news and weather reports without constantly running the engine or risking running the vehicle battery down.

And most importantly keep those gas tanks topped off in the winter months. During the recent storm here many vehicles ran out of gas when stuck in the jam on I-5.

Excellent point about the portable radio. And topping off the fuel tank is a very wise habit to get into.

I'm putting together a winter car kit for my sister for Christmas. It fits in a ditty bag. Will take pics and post inventory when its completed. Want to mail it off next week so hopefully can wrap it up this weekend.

In addition to the gear in the kit, I'm going to include some instructions and a check list of other items she should have in her car, such as coat and blanket or sleeping bag. She's driving on Mt. Hood frequently as she has a vacation home at 4000-feet (Government Camp).

So thanks again to the OP -- this thread, most of it, is useful.