Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
All that equipment sounds like you're [sp] driving to the north pole and are planning on homesteading if you have a problem. Any kits that don't weigh a thousand pounds, force you to take out the back seat, drag a trailer and/or take out a second mortgage to buy?

Edited for spelling.

You have a good point about the amount of money that is invested and the volume. But it is often weighing of cost/weight to need or perceived need. First I have taken a long time to get the gear that I have together. I could have never afforded to buy all of my gear in one shot. What I did was keep a mental list and purchase one thing at a time.

To speak to the volume of my stuff, I have a 4x4 truck throwing this gear in the bed of the truck gives me traction and the gear is functional. So rather than driving around with sandbags in the back of the truck for traction (it is rear wheel drive when the 4x4 isn't engaged) I have gear that I can use.

To add to the comment about cost, Last January my first truck box got stolen the insurance claim was over $1,800 in loss.

The expense of what I keep in the truck is not missed on me at all, but I would rather have the gear that not only do I need by equipment to help my friends out when they are stuck, cold and alone and needing my help. Often I am the person who is called when any of my friends are stuck or in need have help.