The guy that reviewed this had said on the yard forum that the edge retention was not very good and the thing should be sent to Toys R US as a toy.

I had sent Gerber a e-mail alerting them of a problem with one of their knives as a courtesy since I own a few of there products as well as leatherman. I have had good service and warranty from both company's. I do not own a BG product but I hate to see Gerber put out a low quality knife that has china written all over it and some kid looses his eye because he did something Bear did on tv and the knife came apart and hit him in the eye.

Anyway the e-mail is below, starting from the bottom to the top and I X'ed out the names, one question I had was my original e-mail I sent, was it that bad and misunderstood to give me a generic e-mail back and throw in a comment that the 2nd generation will address this problem, when they could have simply said yes we are aware of the problem and we are or not taken action on this matter. Anyway, I was disappointed with the response but maybe this is the direction they want to take the company in, lousy products and customer service. I would hate to see a good company turn this way but it isn't the first time this has happened.

---------------------------------------------------
Thanks x, I may have worded my email wrong. I don’t own that particular knife but I own several different models from Gerber, my only objective was to let you know of flaws in one of your products that was advertised as a survival tool to protect an individual if an individual was left stranded in a location and this was the only thing the person had with them to keep alive. I did not realize this was a toy and not designed for that purpose. I am glad to see that you are redesigning the handle though, sorry for the mix up, I had hoped Gerber would have done more research on the design of this product, I just hope someone doesn’t trust this knife to save his or her life, anyway a good toy for the older more responsible kids anyway. Thank you for your response and I look forward to see what the redesign comes up with.
Thanks

On Behalf Of Sales
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 10:26 AM
To: x
Subject: RE: Bear Grylls knife failure

Thank you for contacting Gerber Legendary Blades regarding the Limited Lifetime Warranty with your Gerber - Bear Grylls product. Gerber warrants to the consumer that this product will be free of defects, in material and workmanship for as long as you own the product. This warranty does not cover damage due to rust, accident, loss of product, improper use, abuse, negligence, or modification of or to any part of the product. Normal wear and tear is not covered under the warranty.

Should your product have failed while being used as intended, we recommend contacting your retailer for Replacement. At this time, we do not have Warranty Replacements to offer from Gerber. The early release of this product was promotional effort and additional product is not available until approximately January/February 2011.

Of course, you’re welcome to return your Bear Grylls product to Gerber for a new replacement when they’re officially released in January/February 2011. In addition, there are modifications to the handle that will enhance performance with the 2nd release.

If you prefer to send your Bear Grylls Product in for a new replacement in 2011, please send the product, along with an explanation of the defect, your name, physical address, and phone number, to the address below:

Gerber Legendary Blades
Attn: Service Dept.
14200 SW 72nd Ave
Portland, OR 97224

It is recommended that you send your package via UPS, FedEx, or insured mail. Gerber Blades will incur all costs for return postage.

Information regarding the warranty can be found on the Gerber website at http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/faq/cat_id/4. The FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page can answer many of your questions.

Sincerely,

x
Customer Service
Fiskars Outdoor - Americas
Gerber

Visit us at gerbergear.com |gerbermilitary.com
Join us on Facebook |Follow us on Twitter

Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:36 PM
To: Sales
Subject: Bear Grylls knife failure
Importance: High

I just wanted to let you know that your Bear Grylls knife has design defects with it and is getting a lot of bad publicity all over the net due to faulty designs. I have several of your products and love them and was giving you a heads up of this poor design product that would give you a chance to improve on the design and I would strongly recommend issuing recalls on them to save face with this defect. Gerber has always stood behind their products and I think if you fix the issues with this knife and publicly make a recall, then I think this knife may be salvaged to continue to make revenue. Leaving it in its current design will only hurt your products reputation and cause distrust of newer products. I would recommend taking action immediately.
Thanks,
xxx

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790424

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=211996#Post211996